Venues and spaces
What kind of space do you need for your event? Give some thought to the size of the audience, how they will access the space, what they will do during the event, etc. Event spaces on campus include classrooms, auditoriums and lecture halls, multipurpose rooms within departments, and general reservable space available to community members and groups.
Classrooms (including Kirsch Auditorium) are managed by the Schedules Office, part of the Registrar's Office.
Campus Activities Complex spaces
These include Kresge Auditorium and Kresge Oval, Wong Auditorium, the Stratton Student Center, Memorial Lobby (Building 10), Morss Hall (Building 50), McDermott Court (the Dot), MIT Chapel, Dertouzous Amphitheater, and public spaces in the Stata Center (Building 32). Please see the CAC Event Planning Guide for a complete list.
MIT Campus Dining offers multiple reservable spaces, including the Forbes Family Café (Stata Center) and the Flowers Dining Room (Maseeh Hall). More
Samberg Conference Center, Chang Building (E52)
The Samberg Conference Center is located on the sixth and seventh floors of the Chang Building (E52). For information and to enquire about availability, please visit the Samberg Conference Center website. Contact.
Have you considered the galleries at the MIT Museum? With capacity up to 600, the Museum is available to both internal and external groups.
Independently scheduled spaces
Many venues across campus are scheduled by individual offices or departments and may be available to members of the MIT community. These rooms include
- Amdur Room (6-233); capacity 30; call 253-1803
- Black Student Union (50-105); capacity 50; call 253-5854
- Brown Room (68-121); capacity 70; email
- E25 Atrium (outside E25-111 and 121); call 253-4317
- E25-119 and 121; capacity 20–30; call 253-4418 or email
- E25-202; capacity 16; reservations
- E25-401; capacity 40; reservations
- Emma Rogers Room (10-340); capacity 16–50; email
- Gilliland Auditorium (66-110); capacity 105; reservations
- Green Room (54-915); capacity 45; call 253-3382 or email
- Grier Room (34-401); call 253-4642; email
- Haus Room (36-428) / Allen Room (36-462); capacity 16–50; call 253-2519 or email
- HST Admin Conference Room (E25-101); capacity 12–20; call 253-4418 or email
- Hulsizer Dining Room (NW35); capacity 150; email
- Kaufman Family Classroom (9-151); capacity 24; call 452-2172
- Killian Hall (14W-111); capacity 150; call 253-2906 or email
- Magasanik Room (68-180/181); capacity 156; email
- Miller Room (1-114); capacity 20; call 253-5357
- MITOne Community Room (8-219); reservations
- Spofford Room (1-236); capacity 30; call 253-7101
- The Thirsty Ear Pub (Ashdown House); capacity 60 (age 21+); reservations
- Von Hippel Room (13-2137); capacity 16–40; call 253-6850
The Bush Room (10-105) may be used by MIT departments, offices, or groups for MIT-focused events. Institute Events manages and schedules this space.
Please note that approval is required to use the Bush Room for an event and that requests will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Reservations may be made four to six months in advance; please review the Bush Room calendar and read the usage policies thoroughly before submitting your request via the submit event form (MIT certificates required) in the upper right of the calendar page. A Bush Room administrator will email you to advise on the status of your reservation.
- Back Bay Events Center at the Hancock Tower, Boston
- Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, South Boston
- Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center
- Charles River Boat Company
- Copley Society of Art, Boston Back Bay
- Cyclorama at the Boston Center for the Arts, Boston South End
- Endicott House, MIT-operated conference center in Dedham, MA
- Exchange Conference Center, Boston waterfront
- Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Norton's Woods Conference Center at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Cambridge
- One Financial Center, conference space in downtown Boston
- Red Jacket Resorts on Cape Cod, MA and in the White Mountains, NH
- USS Constitution Museum, Charlestown, MA
A note about Killian Court and Lobby 7: these are public spaces intended to be open to all members of the community at all times (with the exception of Commencement and other Institute-level events) and are, therefore, not reservable spaces. Questions about the usage policy for Killian Court and Lobby 7 may be directed to Gayle M. Gallagher, Executive Director for Institute Events and Protocol.
MIT's Endicott House in Dedham can accomodate small and mid-sized groups for professional meetings and special events.
Public spaces in the Stata Center may be reserved for events.
Kresge Auditorium is available for event rentals.
The Boston Convention and Exhibition Center was the site of the Next Century Convocation in April 2011.
Caracas Brass performed during the inauguration of President Reif in 2012